Saturday, December 27, 2008

Some Family Favorites

I can't even remember where I got this recipe but I've made it so much now that I know it by heart. I have many requests for it from friends and family.

Cream Cheese Potato Soup

*4 cups chicken broth
*2 cups water
*2-8 oz bricks cream cheese
*1/2 medium white onion chopped
*Enough green onions to use for topping for the whole pot-about 12-16-chopped
*1/4 tsp black pepper
*1/2 tsp dill (McCormick's w/the red top is the best)
*Cubed ham to your liking (My husband likes a lot so when I make it for us I put in more than when I make it for other people)
*Shredded sharp cheddar cheese for topping
*30 oz bag frozen cubed hash brown potatoes

In large stock pot heat broth and water to boil. While liquid is heating up cube cream cheese. Once liquid is to almost a rolling boil add black pepper, dill, and cream cheese. Stirring often heat until cream cheese is completely melted. Add onion, ham, and hash browns. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with warm french bread and topped with shredded cheese and green onions.


Swiss Steak
This was handed down to me from my mom. She would make this on Sundays because she could pop it in the crock pot before church and it would be ready when we got home.

1 package round steak or enough to feed your family cut into serving sizes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium onion sliced lengthwise
1 package sliced baby portabello mushrooms
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper

Turn crock pot on high while preparing food. Mix all ingredients together except meat. It will be chunky but will thin as it cooks. Layer meat and sauce until all are added to crock. Turn crock to low and cook for 6-8 hours depending on the quantity of meat in crock. If your family likes a lot of sauce you can add another can of cream of mushroom and tomatoes.

Serve with Yukon gold mashed potatoes.


Painted Pork Chops

Funny Story! When my brother was just a toddler my step mom was making these pork chops that you brush mustard onto. My little brother happens into the kitchen and says, "Painted Pork Chops!" So the name stuck, he is now 21. We still make Painted Pork Chops and love to tell the story.

*Enough pork chops to serve your family, you can use boneless or bone in, I use medium thickness boneless
*Mix regular yellow mustard and dijon mustard half and half to fill to 1/4 cup
*Bread crumbs with seasoning or corn flake crumbs to coat pork chops

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the two mustards well then coat the chops, don't overcoat however. Coat with crumbs. Bake at least 30 minutes or until coating is crispy and pork is done in center.


Well, that's all for tonight. I'm tired. I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we have.

1 comment: